So I get my first DSLR! A Nikon D3200 to start with, general opinion being this is a good one for the complete beginner. Am terribly excited of course, quite intimidated too! Hope I will learn my way around it in sometime. I have an adept-at-teaching, very ardent photographer for my teacher and guide to help me get started - but for a very short while only ! Therefore the rush to chew on his IIT brains and get a tiny bit of hands on practice before he takes off to start his career. Thanks tons Ajay for all the guidance, help and patience with me!
The recipe in the book is double the below, baked in a 9''x13'' pan. I have used an 8'' square tin for the recipe below.
Whole wheat flour ( I use Ashirwad) - 65 grams
Butter, at room temperate - 30 grams / 2 tablespoons
Brown sugar, powdered - 1/3 cup, packed, then powdered (recipe uses 1/2 cup)
Baking soda - HALF of 1/8 teaspoon
Egg - 48 grams / 1 large
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
Dates, pitted and chopped - 1/2 cup
Walnuts, chopped - 1/2 cup
Dessicated coconut - 2 tablespoons
- Procedure : Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F. Line your baking tray with parchment, grease lightly.
- Take the butter, sugar, soda and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Beat (with a large spoon) for about a minute till the mixture is smooth.
- Add the egg, beat till well incorporated about 30 seconds. Fold in the flour, till it almost disappears. Stir in the walnuts and dates.
- The mixture will be very thick, almost like cookie batter. Dump it into the tray, push it to cover the pan. Wet your hands if needed to smoothen it. Scatter the coconut on top, press down lightly. This will make a very thin layer.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or till a light golden on top and slightly darker around the edges. Cool the bars in the tin for 1/2 hour. Cut into squares.